Assoc Prof Francois Viruly
BA (Economics) (Wits University), MA (Economics) (University of Kent)
FRICS (Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors)
Tel: 021 650 3442
- The Transformation of the Central Business District (Jhb) – Urban Age Conference – (Corner House 6-8 July 2006)
- The Formulation of Real Estate Programmes in Developing Countries (Refereed Article) (October, 2005) – CIDB Conference 2005 – 1st Prize.
- An analysis of South African Property Trends (August, 2005) – SAPOA PEP Conference.
- SAPOA Review (June, 2000) – Determining Property Values through the Discounted Cash Flow Method.
- Urban Futures Conference (2002) – The implications of the South African property market for property inner city regeneration, Johannesburg.
- The South African Sapix / IPD Property Index – “A Tool for Asset Management and Research” – paper presented at the 4th International Conference on Real Estate in Africa, 12th – 13th March 2002, Nairobi, Kenya.
- “Using South Africa fictional writing to interpret the historical development of the Johannesburg socio-economic environment” – presented at the Biennial Conference of the Economic Society of South Africa, 17th – 19th September 2003.
- Investment Property Databank Investment Conference (2003) – The SA Property Market in 2004, Implications for Property Valuers.
- South African Property Review – March/April 2003 –To apply a Cap Rate or a Discount Rate.
- The South African Institute of Valuers (SAIV) (2005) – The impact of government programmes for property values.
- The formulation of property courses in developing countries (April 2005) – paper presented at ARES Conference Sante Fe.
- Property Manuals: Understanding Property Investments; Understanding Property Risk Analysis; and Understanding Property Valuations.
- Regular contributor to daily and weekly Newspapers / Magazines, Television and Radio Programmes.
Property Economics, Property Cycles, Property Finance. Listed Property sector
Masters: Property Economics, Property Development, Portfolio Management,
Undergraduate: Urban land Economics
Vice president – African Real Estate Society
SAPOA – Government Liaison Committee
RICS – Chair Education Committee
Selected Recent Publications
Real Estate Practices among Indigenous Peoples in South Africa: A Clash of Property Systems at the Urban Fringe American Journal of Real Estate Research –2007